Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Honeymoon, Part One

The morning after our handfasting ceremony and reception, Sir Edward and I boarded the train at the Steelhead station and set off on our honeymoon. We planned on taking in the sights of Dresden, parts of England, Scotland and Ireland before returning home to domestic bliss.

As our steam ship was not due to be in port for a few days, we stayed at charming cottage owned by one of our friends. It was delightful....the time spent there in the calm and quiet allowed us to relax a little after the hectic prepartations of the handfasting and just bask in each other's presence.


Finally, our steamer made port and we gathered up our (many) trunks and boarded, ready to embark on our first (of many) adventure as Mr. and Mrs.

I had never been out on the open seas before, and the largest sea faring vessel I had set foot on had been Sir Edward's boat that we sometimes use to quickly dash over to The Three Graces to visit. I was awed by the vast size of the ship and the fine appointments within. Such luxury! We settled into our suite of rooms and then proceeded to explore the ship. Fine salons were everywhere and each room was simply beautiful.


However, upon being out at sea for a day, I discovered that travelling by ocean is *not* the same as travelling by land. I developed a case of the "Mal de Mer" and spent a day and a half in our room, feeling rather like death warmed over. It was pure misery, laying there, hour after hour, the motion of the ship making one believe she is riding on a great camel of the desert affected with heart disease*. Happily, this feeling did pass and I was able to be up and about, enjoying the many activities on board.

One thing I must comment upon is that it would seem that eating is the favorite past-time on the ship. An average day (for meals) seemed to pass liked this: Cup of tea and a cracker upon rising, breakfast at eight;, luncheon at twelve; dinner at four; tea at seven; supper at ten.* The meals served were simply marvelous though and the service was beyond compare.

Finally, our voyage ended and we made port. We boarded a train and set off for Dresden.

There were many beautiful things to see there. Such architexture! If I would have had ten pairs of eyes, I still think I would have not been able to drink all the sights in. Sir Edward and I had heard that the Dresden gallery was beyond compare and so we set off to see if it would live up to the repuation.

I am happy to report that it was everything that was said and more. The building itself was worthy of hours of admiration, let alone the many wonderful works of art inside. Sir Edward and I spent many hours admiring and studying the art displayed, and I was able to pick up a reprint of "The Chocolate Girl", perhaps for my bakery. I would recommend making it part of your "To See" list if one is ever in Dresden.

After a few days, we boarded the train again and made our way to England. We stopped again in Paris (very briefly as we had been there before) and then made our way across the Channel.

We spent the better part of 3 days in London, seeing the Albert and Victoria Museum, stopping by Madame Tussad's, touring the Tower of London and seeing the crown jewels. I am simply amazed at the history that exists in these fine cities. To think that 600 years ago, people were walking those same streets, dreaming their dreams, living and laughing (and hopefully avoiding the bubonic plague)! It simply astounds me.

Next we set off for Scotland, the homeland of my beloved. I shall write about that in my next post.

*taken from "Toward the Sunrise being Sketches of Travel in Europe and the East" written by Hugh Johnston, published 1883

No comments: