Monday, April 23, 2007

Mercy Sakes Alive!!!!

I awoke in the middle of the night to a horrific scream....too horrible to be made by anything that claims to be human. Clutching the blankets to my chest, gasping for air, I fumbled for the lamp, knocking over a few books on the bedside table in the process. My stirrings awoke Edward and he too heard the tail end of the scream.

He grabbed his Pneumatic rifle and headed for the sleeping porch, with me in his wake. The sound seemed to be coming from next door. Edward peered into the darkness, the moonlight covered by thick clouds, trying to discover what made that God-forsaken, ear shattering scream. My lamp did nothing to penetrate the darkness, and so, when the silence settled around us like a thick blanket of snow, we again retired for the night.

In the morning, it was discovered that my dear neighbour, Mr. Darien Mason was no longer himself. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say he returned to himself. The demon that was possessing him was released and once again, he was Dr. Darien Mason. This will be different, living next door to a "normal" man. He had been an incubus for as long as I had lived in Steelhead.

Dr. Mason was called out of town shortly thereafter, we hope he fares well on his journey.

No comments: